Skip to main content

Short Story S: 5 P 2 - "The Whistler"

     It's trailing after me.
     Wherever it's coming from.
     That stupid eerie whistling noise.
     It's kind of like an old song...but not?
     Stupid old miner's house. Stupid ghost stories. Stupid cute boys...
     I should have known better than to take on the dare just to impress Josh. No matter how handsome the basketball player is, he isn't worth dying in a goddamn haunted shit hole for. I should have shrugged them off at the beach party. Should have watched how much I was drinking.
Shouldn't have kissed those stupid soft lips.
     Sigh.
     Too late now.
     "Where is that coming from?!" I can't make out shit beyond shapes in this fucking place, and it's almost like someone is literally right behind me whistling that tune in some bad horror movie trope. Up the creaking steps. Down the worn dusty hallway. Past the numerous open doors into rooms I'm so not checking out. Turning the corner into another long hallway, hanging around like---
     Bang!
     "Son of a bitch!" Who the fuck puts a table right in the middle of a doorway?! Jesus, that's going to leave one hell of a bruise on my thighs.
     Heavy solid fucker too.
     Do I move it? Or go back? The balcony is suppose to be on the other end. I just need to get there and be done with this stunt.
     Hmmm......
     Skreeeitch! Skreeeitch! Skreee-
     Fuck it. That sound is worse than the whistling. Another poor asshole can move the table back to wherever it's suppose to be. I just need enough room to, oooff, slip by.
     Gods!
     I can't tell if that smell is just rotting wood...or...rat droppings? Jesus I hope it's just rat droppings. Why the hell did I agree to go lightless again in this stupid bit? My dad's going to kick my ass if I end up getting attacked by something for a fucking pretty face.
     Ding! Ding!
     Oh! Shit. Where's my phone? I-why isn't it in my pocket? Did I drop it? Fuck.
     "Fuck!"
     No. No, no, no, no, no! I cannot loose that! Dad will more than kill me, he'll disown me, or worse, make me go live with mom. Shit! Where could I have dropped it? I didn't feel it fall out of my pocket, but it can't be too far if I can hear it going off.
     Maybe I lost it when I moved the table?
     Ok.
     So turn around, like 5--maybe ten steps back--and it should be there.
     Wait.
     ....Did....did the whistling just move? Or...something else? Is that a shadow?
     "Wh-who's there?"
     Why is it still behind me?! I should be facing into it!
     Fuck this place. I'm out of here. No boy is worth this bullshit.
     Pudink! Worhl, worhl, worhl, skiiirk, dunk!
     Oh. My God.
     Did I just fucking KICK MY PHONE ACROSS THE ROOM?!
     "You've got to be fucking kidding me?!
     Grrrrrrrrrr!
      Deep breath in, then out. Relax, man, relax. Just ignore the stupid whistling and slowly kneel to the floor. Yes, it's probably caked with animal shit. No, don't use the sleeve of your letterman jacket to protect your hands! Nana cleaned this for you like a month ago! She'll beat you worse than dad if you get it dirty again.
     Ok.
     Gentle reaching...gentle...slide your knees across the floor, ignore the grinding sensation that feels like poop breaking into dust beneath your shins. Don't open your mouth, try not to breath any of it in. Just reaaaach.....and reaaach....and--
     "Can I help you, son?"
     "AHHHHH!" Shake him off! SHAKE HIM OFF! Oh Gods! Where did he come from?! "LET GO OF ME!"
     Shake him off!!!!
     "Now just hold a minute, I'm tryin' t' help."
     The hell you are! I can fucking see RIGHT THROUGH YOU!!! And I don't even know HOW I can, it's so goddamn dark in here!
     "P-PLEASE, LET ME GO!" Oh gods, why is the whistling getting louder?! Is it him?! How can he be whistling that hideous tune and talking at the same time through them ugly ass transparent gnarled teeth?!
     "Afraid I can't do that, fella."
     "Please! PLEASE!" Why won't you let go?!
     Fight him!
     FIGHT HIM!
     You're a goddamn wrestler, break his hold and bolt! Forget the phone! JUST GO!!
     "I don't think so, boy."
     Ggga...acckk!!
     "Why do you always gotta put up a struggle? I'm just tryin' t' help ya! Clawin' at my hands won't do any good. I know what you're thinkin', same thing as always, but it won't matter, child. That noise you're hearin'? That whistlin' sound that's been followin' ya? That ain't nothin' but you, boy. You! I ain't the one strangling ya! You done did that yourself years ago when you fell through the hole in the floor just past this here table! That noise, that gods awful sound, is the tune you was piping before you fell and got snagged by an old wire."
     ...............
     ......"It's alright, son. That's it. Put your hands down, just let yourself relax. It'll all be over soon. I promise. Maybe tomorrow, you won't come back, or you won't move past the table I put in the door way to block ya....but I doubt it. We all keep returning here...Guess we should have listened to those old ghost stories after all...It ain't fun to repeat your death in this old place. No sir, not at all..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snippet: Golden Children of the Night

     Since so many people have been following my twitter posts of me writing , here is a snippet unedited of what I've done so far. Enjoy! ...They watched as another bolt of lightening struck the ground, forcing them to bend into their stances to resist falling to their knees, and formed into a tall gleaming female figure. The armored woman’s eyes flickered with golden irises as she took each of them in before addressing them. “You speak as if you have earned a place upon Olympia, Dead King,” she said, her lyrical voice commanding between them as her eyes bore into Belloros. “You are old, Athena, and the Romans will see to it that nothing of Ancient Greece shall remain standing,” he replied defiantly, “including you.” Those wise eyes turning her way, she met them unflinching but not without respect. She felt measured, as she had the last time she stood before the Gods of Olympus, and like before she kept her words to herself. “And you seek to betray the gi

Short Story: S 5 P 3 - "Fire in the Blood"

I don’t remember much of my life before the wagon train to execution. Everything is hazy, as if I had no existence until then. But the blade of a steel axe rising high above my head, I distinctly recall. The smell of copper dripping from the last poor bastard to kneel upon the stained wood beneath me. The stench of horses. Mud. Gravel. Brimstone. When fire unexpectedly exploded around us, raining in a torrent of deadly chaos....I felt something within me come alive. This fever, igniting, under my sizzling flesh. It filled my senses, rushing my veins like growling ecstasy. I ached with a knowledge I couldn’t grasp into words. But I can comprehend it vibrating in my bones. It is what whispers to me now as I drive my axe forward, striking soft pebbled scales in a frantic blow for survival. That consuming molten honey humming in my muscles, chanting ‘kin of my kin, blood of my blood’ , while massive sharp teeth snap and snarl at circling soldiers. My heart constricts, knowing

Short Story S:5 P 1 - "Unseen Hands"

You want noise when something happens. A blaring warning sign. A whisper of foreboding. A chill of uncertainty. You want another person nearby. A hand to hold onto. A rush of moving bodies to motivate you to safety. A sense of unity. A pack survival mentality.   You want a tool. A device to give you advantage. Hope for success. A net for security, should you have to risk it all. A life line. What you don’t want. What you fear the most. Is the unpredictability of nothingness. Because that is where real terror begins. Humanity is so certain our greatest enemies will meet us on the battlefields in manners we understand, that we never stop to consider.... That they don’t think the way we do. There will be no siren. No amount of individuals beside you to make a difference. No technology to aid you. All there will be is a moment--a single flickering second of discord--and then.... oblivion. You see, our greatest enemies can perceive our mortal coil. Can