Skip to main content

When A Character Fails, It's in the Writing

     It's been awhile since I've posted my thoughts.

     But what I'm seeing as of late on--and hearing outside of--social media, is the downfall of tv shows due to a character/actor/storyline departure.
     Which confuses me.
     Not because it happens.
     It has always happened.
     Some of our most beloved characters and shows have had unexpected absences for decades. What confuses me, is why it is such a hot topic.
     I suppose then, an examination of the times is in order.
     Looking back at some of my beloved shows as a teen (20yrs ago) where a character, or a continuing story line had finally come to an end, I realize the difference is the approach. Whether there was discord on set or not, a family or financial issue--whatever the cause--we were never made privy to the reason something/someone we had enjoyed for so long was now gone.
     We just dealt with it.
     The same way we reconciled our emotions over Old Yeller dying, or the necessary sacrifices made in The Dark Crystal--no matter how much it broke our heart.
     Because not all characters or stories are perfect.
     Not every ending is happy, or even fulfilling.
     Sometimes stories, like life, come up short.

     BUT...

     And this is a big one...
   
     There is a difference between dissatisfaction over the way a story/character has gone, and piss poor writing that has dismantled what was once a phenomenal journey.
     The key is how you backtrack the final legs of the tale, and if it/they were treated with respect, or just given enough drivel to move them on.
     When a character fails, it's in the writing.
     That's a fact.
     But bad writing for a great character is not the same as a great character making imperfect choices. If you have, as the writer, loss the love for your story, or one of the characters involved, it should still be within you to have the desire to finish them off respectfully. Even if the decision is not of your choice, if perhaps the portrayer is leaving, or the execs. are canceling you, there should still be a measure of decorum for what you have created.
     Sadly, that is something we have not seen in the last few years.
     We can all easily recall favorite shows and characters that have been overrun, under-appreciated, destroyed in every level of existence due to disgruntled writers, and put through the social wash because they preferred to pander for ratings instead of writing something coherent and stable.
     Not only is it detrimental to storytelling, but it's down right destructive to the way we shape the world around us with our imagination. We give false, and hypercritical impressions, upon people who may be looking towards stories as a way to find model growth in themselves. We give shape to injustice, to stagnancy, and we dash hopes that need to be fed.
     If you want to shrug it off and say 'well sometimes a story is just a documentation of events with no purpose beyond observation,' then stick to being a journalist or non-fiction writer.
     Because fiction is about the "what if". It's the notion of perceiving more, of offering up something different--for better or worse. It's an instigator of thought, of putting things into motion, and a way of connecting with others through our shared beliefs.
     This is something we have lost.
     This is the problem...
     .....And only we, as writers, can fix it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story: S 5 P 3 - "Fire in the Blood"

I don’t remember much of my life before the wagon train to execution. Everything is hazy, as if I had no existence until then. But the blade of a steel axe rising high above my head, I distinctly recall. The smell of copper dripping from the last poor bastard to kneel upon the stained wood beneath me. The stench of horses. Mud. Gravel. Brimstone. When fire unexpectedly exploded around us, raining in a torrent of deadly chaos....I felt something within me come alive. This fever, igniting, under my sizzling flesh. It filled my senses, rushing my veins like growling ecstasy. I ached with a knowledge I couldn’t grasp into words. But I can comprehend it vibrating in my bones. It is what whispers to me now as I drive my axe forward, striking soft pebbled scales in a frantic blow for survival. That consuming molten honey humming in my muscles, chanting ‘kin of my kin, blood of my blood’ , while massive sharp teeth snap and snarl at circling soldiers. My heart constricts, knowing

A Snippet: Golden Children of the Night

     Since so many people have been following my twitter posts of me writing , here is a snippet unedited of what I've done so far. Enjoy! ...They watched as another bolt of lightening struck the ground, forcing them to bend into their stances to resist falling to their knees, and formed into a tall gleaming female figure. The armored woman’s eyes flickered with golden irises as she took each of them in before addressing them. “You speak as if you have earned a place upon Olympia, Dead King,” she said, her lyrical voice commanding between them as her eyes bore into Belloros. “You are old, Athena, and the Romans will see to it that nothing of Ancient Greece shall remain standing,” he replied defiantly, “including you.” Those wise eyes turning her way, she met them unflinching but not without respect. She felt measured, as she had the last time she stood before the Gods of Olympus, and like before she kept her words to herself. “And you seek to betray the gi

Short Story S:5 P 1 - "Unseen Hands"

You want noise when something happens. A blaring warning sign. A whisper of foreboding. A chill of uncertainty. You want another person nearby. A hand to hold onto. A rush of moving bodies to motivate you to safety. A sense of unity. A pack survival mentality.   You want a tool. A device to give you advantage. Hope for success. A net for security, should you have to risk it all. A life line. What you don’t want. What you fear the most. Is the unpredictability of nothingness. Because that is where real terror begins. Humanity is so certain our greatest enemies will meet us on the battlefields in manners we understand, that we never stop to consider.... That they don’t think the way we do. There will be no siren. No amount of individuals beside you to make a difference. No technology to aid you. All there will be is a moment--a single flickering second of discord--and then.... oblivion. You see, our greatest enemies can perceive our mortal coil. Can