Skip to main content

An Artists' Well

     As many of you know, I started the year off with a fresh notebook I intended to fill up with drawings on a daily basis until it was full. It's a simple sketch pad with 70 pages in it and I thought I could easily do a doodle a day as I am often sketching one thing or another. And it was simple, for the first few days, perhaps even into the first few weeks. Then I felt something I had not experience before--a dry well.
     It wasn't that my imagination was empty, in fact it daily over flows with ideas and visuals, but my drive, my energy to give them an outlet, started running low. There were many days I only had an hour to get a sketch in and, with so much going on in my life as it was, I felt like I was just dropping little random lines with very little emotion behind them just to say I had done it. Pride is an awful creature that can push you forward when your feet can barely hold you.
     It got to the point I had to evaluate what I was doing, and the type of artist I am, to understand why such a simple task felt so much more.
     In the end, it became clear that the issue wasn't necessarily my imagination, or my limited time--it was my desire, my passion and ultimately the type of artist I had molded myself into.
     I am a person who bottles things up.
     I wait until my skin is crawling, my hands are itching and my mind is racing with inspiration before I finally funnel the chaos down into one or more outlets. Can I draw everyday? Yes. Do I desire to? Sometimes. But I am a spontaneous whirlwind of creativity.
     I am disciplined when I am in the element of bringing something to life, but I never force that spark of imagination into existence until I am in need of releasing it. I don't sit down and draw or write daily. Often times, the best way for me to let my imagination have a release is to sit and listen to music or play a video game where my mind can wander.
     I like to cook.
     I like to stew.
     It's just who I am.
     It's been a valuable exploration into my craft, and into myself, in doing the daily drawings. I started on January 1st and completed my last, spent and withdrawn, on March 4th. A part of me is disappointed I didn't even make it 70 days. But the lessons I learned, the frustrations, the concerns and the successes I had, taught me a lot about An Artists' Well.
     For those who can be inspired, who have the hours of free time, who have mastered a compromise in discipline and passion to draw or paint or write daily, I salute you--you truly are unique creatures with driven muses.
     But to the others like me, who accept that their needs must reach a boiling point before they can be set free, I say let us continue forward. Let our passions drive us without drought--feed and nourish our souls at our whim and let us be challenged with lessons we can take to heart to help us embrace who we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snippet: Golden Children of the Night

     Since so many people have been following my twitter posts of me writing , here is a snippet unedited of what I've done so far. Enjoy! ...They watched as another bolt of lightening struck the ground, forcing them to bend into their stances to resist falling to their knees, and formed into a tall gleaming female figure. The armored woman’s eyes flickered with golden irises as she took each of them in before addressing them. “You speak as if you have earned a place upon Olympia, Dead King,” she said, her lyrical voice commanding between them as her eyes bore into Belloros. “You are old, Athena, and the Romans will see to it that nothing of Ancient Greece shall remain standing,” he replied defiantly, “including you.” Those wise eyes turning her way, she met them unflinching but not without respect. She felt measured, as she had the last time she stood before the Gods of Olympus, and like before she kept her words to herself. “And you seek to betray the gi

Short Story: S 5 P 3 - "Fire in the Blood"

I don’t remember much of my life before the wagon train to execution. Everything is hazy, as if I had no existence until then. But the blade of a steel axe rising high above my head, I distinctly recall. The smell of copper dripping from the last poor bastard to kneel upon the stained wood beneath me. The stench of horses. Mud. Gravel. Brimstone. When fire unexpectedly exploded around us, raining in a torrent of deadly chaos....I felt something within me come alive. This fever, igniting, under my sizzling flesh. It filled my senses, rushing my veins like growling ecstasy. I ached with a knowledge I couldn’t grasp into words. But I can comprehend it vibrating in my bones. It is what whispers to me now as I drive my axe forward, striking soft pebbled scales in a frantic blow for survival. That consuming molten honey humming in my muscles, chanting ‘kin of my kin, blood of my blood’ , while massive sharp teeth snap and snarl at circling soldiers. My heart constricts, knowing

Sticky Note Session 1: 8 "Stars"

         Music has always had a way with me. It's like it grabs my imagination, with each instrument and rhythmic beat, and takes it on a journey from one story to the next. Often lyrics tell the story the music wants you to know, while instrumental pieces themselves give you the freedom of exploration in interpretation.      There is a particular song, lately, that I have fallen in love with.  Experiences by Ludovico Einaudi  seems to sweep me up, splashing from one scenario into the next like a never ending dreamscape. It doesn't just tug at me artistically, but emotionally as well. The journeys that seem to unfold out of nowhere are beautiful, tragic and achingly honest.      Perhaps it is just the way the strings of the violins come together with the steady pace of the piano. Maybe it's the tender moments of quiet in an otherwise resounding piece that nestle in my mind and begs me along. Maybe I just experience music differently. Either way, it is inspiring and jus