Skip to main content

An Artists' Well

     As many of you know, I started the year off with a fresh notebook I intended to fill up with drawings on a daily basis until it was full. It's a simple sketch pad with 70 pages in it and I thought I could easily do a doodle a day as I am often sketching one thing or another. And it was simple, for the first few days, perhaps even into the first few weeks. Then I felt something I had not experience before--a dry well.
     It wasn't that my imagination was empty, in fact it daily over flows with ideas and visuals, but my drive, my energy to give them an outlet, started running low. There were many days I only had an hour to get a sketch in and, with so much going on in my life as it was, I felt like I was just dropping little random lines with very little emotion behind them just to say I had done it. Pride is an awful creature that can push you forward when your feet can barely hold you.
     It got to the point I had to evaluate what I was doing, and the type of artist I am, to understand why such a simple task felt so much more.
     In the end, it became clear that the issue wasn't necessarily my imagination, or my limited time--it was my desire, my passion and ultimately the type of artist I had molded myself into.
     I am a person who bottles things up.
     I wait until my skin is crawling, my hands are itching and my mind is racing with inspiration before I finally funnel the chaos down into one or more outlets. Can I draw everyday? Yes. Do I desire to? Sometimes. But I am a spontaneous whirlwind of creativity.
     I am disciplined when I am in the element of bringing something to life, but I never force that spark of imagination into existence until I am in need of releasing it. I don't sit down and draw or write daily. Often times, the best way for me to let my imagination have a release is to sit and listen to music or play a video game where my mind can wander.
     I like to cook.
     I like to stew.
     It's just who I am.
     It's been a valuable exploration into my craft, and into myself, in doing the daily drawings. I started on January 1st and completed my last, spent and withdrawn, on March 4th. A part of me is disappointed I didn't even make it 70 days. But the lessons I learned, the frustrations, the concerns and the successes I had, taught me a lot about An Artists' Well.
     For those who can be inspired, who have the hours of free time, who have mastered a compromise in discipline and passion to draw or paint or write daily, I salute you--you truly are unique creatures with driven muses.
     But to the others like me, who accept that their needs must reach a boiling point before they can be set free, I say let us continue forward. Let our passions drive us without drought--feed and nourish our souls at our whim and let us be challenged with lessons we can take to heart to help us embrace who we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snippet: Golden Children of the Night

     Since so many people have been following my twitter posts of me writing , here is a snippet unedited of what I've done so far. Enjoy! ...They watched as another bolt of lightening struck the ground, forcing them to bend into their stances to resist falling to their knees, and formed into a tall gleaming female figure. The armored woman’s eyes flickered with golden irises as she took each of them in before addressing them. “You speak as if you have earned a place upon Olympia, Dead King,” she said, her lyrical voice commanding between them as her eyes bore into Belloros. “You are old, Athena, and the Romans will see to it that nothing of Ancient Greece shall remain standing,” he replied defiantly, “including you.” Those wise eyes turning her way, she met them unflinching but not without respect. She felt measured, as she had the last time she stood before the Gods of Olympus, and like before she kept her words to herself. “And you seek to bet...

Short Story S:2 Post: 20 - "The Fog"

     It wasn't the early morning drive on just a few hours of sleep that had her on edge.      Or the way the radio only seemed to find more static than songs.      It wasn't the lack of traffic on the road--as she was traveling through the country after all, nor the occasional unnecessary amount of pot holes she had to keep avoiding on her way home.      No, it was The Fog .      The all consuming white mist that seemed to let her see just two car lengths ahead, and barely a full car length behind her as she passed through it.      It wasn't like it was unexpected, it was often foggy on her trips home when she had been out and about the night before.      But this one felt different.      Hell, it even smelled different.      Not like damp fallen leaves and wet wood, something that usually said fall was in full swing to her.     ...

Short Story S:2 P: 15 - "Between Shore and Sea"

     The storm raged on around them, encouraging rolling waves to thrash about as if they were dancing to the torrent of emotions spilling across the distance Between Shore and Sea . Words whipped and echoed like arrows across the tides, inflaming sun tanned cheeks and pale skin with blood red passion.      It was to have been a simple affair--no heart and all body.      But as the being had come ashore in the dead of night what felt like a lifetime ago--and settled its charcoal eyes on a beauty carved from mortal flesh and bone watching the stars in wonder--it had felt a daunting pull that spoke of white hot heat and doom.      From that moment forward they had spun a web of Emerald Longing and Golden Wonder around themselves as their bodies twined again and again. By dawn on that very first morning they were unable to draw themselves apart, so they had stayed cocooned, nestled in a world of damp wood, soft sheets and the...