Skip to main content

Love and Romantic Arcs in Storytelling

   
     As I sit here thinking over the next scene leading up to my character's departure on to her great adventure, I can't stop thinking about the point in which she will finally reach my second leading character and how their relationship will unfold from that moment until the ending I have in mind. See, I'm not one for writing romance novels, even though I do love reading a great epic romance, I'm just not that kind of girl, but I want these characters to connect on a level just as strong as one.
     I'm not one who simply puts romance to the forefront of my storytelling, it's never been my thing. Looking back over my favorite romantic movies or character parings (ships) in tv shows, I realize I need an environment where love has a potential, but it is wrapped up in so much more.
     For instance. I'll easily admit I was a hardcore X-File fan in the days it ruled late night tv and the bend between scifi - paranormal - and drama. Yet, I was perhaps one of the few who never wanted to know for certain if Mulder and Scully were in love. I didn't need that to happen in order for their relationship to be poignant and real. I was disappointed when the show finally fell onto their relationship being romantic and they were now driven by emotions that were defined by that type of archetypical plot. Something was left behind for me, something that was far stronger than a love defined by romance. That something, I felt, was part of the foundation of the show.
     Then again, when it came to a show like Silk Stalkings, I couldn't wait for Chris and Rita to finally realize what everyone else could see. That show waited till its final run to deliver a wonderful clarity between the characters, only to rip my heart out as Chris died and Rita was left to raise their unborn child alone. Still, I loved every second of it, even the heartache. I loved looking back and understanding that the show began with concerns over Rita never making it very far due to her health, Chris always the sure and steady one, and then ending with the acknowledgement that it was Rita who was the strong one all along; the survivor built up by the love Chris had for her, first as a friend, then as a lover and so much more.
     Is it just the way the story is told?
     My all time favorite (current) romantic movie is The World Unseen about two women with different lifestyles and places in the world, yet similar wills, strengths and perceptions to draw them together. It isn't just the romance that powers the story for me, but the environment, the tumultuous reality they are stuck in where a wrong choice can lead to death and a right one means losing ones' sense of self, which is a death in its own right. It's tender, full of rift, and real in a vulnerable and brave kind of way.
     Or maybe it is the characters themselves?
     When I look at all the characters I loved who never ended up romantically paired with a co-character I thought was perfectly suited for them, I wonder if it was a fault in the writing for that character or in my own perception. I mean, to me the groundwork was there for something awesome, something that would take time to build but would be epic once it finally crested that magical point. Why couldn't the creator(s) of that character see it?
     And what about now when I find myself full circle to being divided yet again on a few character parings where I love the relationship they have now, and yes I can see it going into a great romantic arc, but I fear doing so will lose what they already have? How does that thought process interpret my own character's story in the end? What is it I really want for her? To fall in love while being the Hero? To earn love while doing heroic things? And what kind of love, if any, should she experience in this great adventure? Is it necessary? Will it strengthen her? Or will it be her downfall?

To Love?

That is the question....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snippet: Golden Children of the Night

     Since so many people have been following my twitter posts of me writing , here is a snippet unedited of what I've done so far. Enjoy! ...They watched as another bolt of lightening struck the ground, forcing them to bend into their stances to resist falling to their knees, and formed into a tall gleaming female figure. The armored woman’s eyes flickered with golden irises as she took each of them in before addressing them. “You speak as if you have earned a place upon Olympia, Dead King,” she said, her lyrical voice commanding between them as her eyes bore into Belloros. “You are old, Athena, and the Romans will see to it that nothing of Ancient Greece shall remain standing,” he replied defiantly, “including you.” Those wise eyes turning her way, she met them unflinching but not without respect. She felt measured, as she had the last time she stood before the Gods of Olympus, and like before she kept her words to herself. “And you seek to betray the gi

Short Story: S 5 P 3 - "Fire in the Blood"

I don’t remember much of my life before the wagon train to execution. Everything is hazy, as if I had no existence until then. But the blade of a steel axe rising high above my head, I distinctly recall. The smell of copper dripping from the last poor bastard to kneel upon the stained wood beneath me. The stench of horses. Mud. Gravel. Brimstone. When fire unexpectedly exploded around us, raining in a torrent of deadly chaos....I felt something within me come alive. This fever, igniting, under my sizzling flesh. It filled my senses, rushing my veins like growling ecstasy. I ached with a knowledge I couldn’t grasp into words. But I can comprehend it vibrating in my bones. It is what whispers to me now as I drive my axe forward, striking soft pebbled scales in a frantic blow for survival. That consuming molten honey humming in my muscles, chanting ‘kin of my kin, blood of my blood’ , while massive sharp teeth snap and snarl at circling soldiers. My heart constricts, knowing

Short Story S:5 P 1 - "Unseen Hands"

You want noise when something happens. A blaring warning sign. A whisper of foreboding. A chill of uncertainty. You want another person nearby. A hand to hold onto. A rush of moving bodies to motivate you to safety. A sense of unity. A pack survival mentality.   You want a tool. A device to give you advantage. Hope for success. A net for security, should you have to risk it all. A life line. What you don’t want. What you fear the most. Is the unpredictability of nothingness. Because that is where real terror begins. Humanity is so certain our greatest enemies will meet us on the battlefields in manners we understand, that we never stop to consider.... That they don’t think the way we do. There will be no siren. No amount of individuals beside you to make a difference. No technology to aid you. All there will be is a moment--a single flickering second of discord--and then.... oblivion. You see, our greatest enemies can perceive our mortal coil. Can