Skip to main content

The Crowded Effect--A Destructive Tool in Writing and Viewership

     So I sat watching tv a bit in my free time this weekend, taking in the very few currently airing shows that I like, as well as indulging in ones I have loved in the past. In doing so, I have come to see a shift in storytelling that I'm not fond of--and the more I see of it the less I understand it. There may be a proper term for it floating out there that I haven't seen or heard of yet, but in my little writer world, I'm calling it The Crowded Effect.
     I know you have seen it.
     I've even heard some of you complaining about it.
     I just haven't seen the destructiveness of it until now.
     Let's take your favorite show all the way back to season one. You remember that, don't you? The awesome intro to the world of characters A+B+C+whoever else that is the core of the show? The people who will be with us in the beginning, and though not all may make it, the one at the very least who will be with us when it all sadly comes to and end?
     We loved that season!
     It wasn't just solid writing.
     It was an absolute necessity!
     Because this is the ground the writers are standing on when they begin their tale, and it is the ground they should return to after the flights of fancy--no matter the direction they take and those we encounter along the way.
     That's just how stories are suppose to be, how they are suppose to work.
     But after season one?
     Well, our favorite handful of characters seem to get swept up into a tornado and by season 4 or 5 we've found ourselves saying goodbye to some who at least had integral ground to land on, while having to introduce ourselves to new arrivals all within the chaos--never knowing if they are coming, going, important or just debris floating around to clutter things. At some point, it all becomes a cluster-fuck and in the noise we lose the story-line.
     And those new characters?
     We love them--some of them--and we think to ourselves 'hey, there is great potential here for X+Y=Z' if the creators choose to go in direction D or E or a combo of G & H. But suddenly most of them are gone as fast as they have arrived, or worse, they are filled up with so much empty air to take up space without any substance we have no clue what they hell is the point of them being there. Their backgrounds are abridged (and most not effectively so), their singled out story-lines don't have the stepping stones necessary to give them a solid foothold with the original characters, and the talents behind them feel wasted which is hard to accept when it isn't easy to find such solid talent in the first place.
     And why?
     WHY?
     Because I don't need a top billed cast of 10+ characters with only 5 who actually fit together and 5 others who are shoved into place like piss poor puzzle pieces to keep my interest. Each episode doesn't need to be a fast paced action sequence from the Fast and the Furious to keep me coming back each week. I'm not empty or shallow or suffer from such a massively short attention span you have to keep tossing reminders into the dialog about why said characters are around.
     I'm a viewer who likes to watch things build up.
     I want the slow burn.
     I need my characters to not feel like a Lernaean Hydra (unless they are said mythological creature) with a new random head sprouting each season.
     I don't want to be drawn up on a hype only to fall flat because there are too many people and not enough time or editing in the world to bring back the screen minutes wasted on drivel.
     I don't want to jump into a massive pool of book pages and try to weave some bullshit together with washed out words just so I can say I've been told enough tales in the time given. That's not substance, that's a handful of sparklers that still burn out too quickly no matter how little you wave them about.
     I just want characters A thru C to tell me their stories, to bring me into their world without the need for a flow chart and give me a wonderful adventure.
     That's all I need.
     No flash magicians, no Las Vegas show pizzazz, just me and the little story stick being passed around the tiny circle of people all facing a campfire.
     Intimacy, my dear writers, is the way you keep your audience from wandering.
     Keep it simple, keep it neat.
     That is an absolute that is fundamental in storytelling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Snippet: Golden Children of the Night

     Since so many people have been following my twitter posts of me writing , here is a snippet unedited of what I've done so far. Enjoy! ...They watched as another bolt of lightening struck the ground, forcing them to bend into their stances to resist falling to their knees, and formed into a tall gleaming female figure. The armored woman’s eyes flickered with golden irises as she took each of them in before addressing them. “You speak as if you have earned a place upon Olympia, Dead King,” she said, her lyrical voice commanding between them as her eyes bore into Belloros. “You are old, Athena, and the Romans will see to it that nothing of Ancient Greece shall remain standing,” he replied defiantly, “including you.” Those wise eyes turning her way, she met them unflinching but not without respect. She felt measured, as she had the last time she stood before the Gods of Olympus, and like before she kept her words to herself. “And you seek to bet...

Short Story S:2 Post: 20 - "The Fog"

     It wasn't the early morning drive on just a few hours of sleep that had her on edge.      Or the way the radio only seemed to find more static than songs.      It wasn't the lack of traffic on the road--as she was traveling through the country after all, nor the occasional unnecessary amount of pot holes she had to keep avoiding on her way home.      No, it was The Fog .      The all consuming white mist that seemed to let her see just two car lengths ahead, and barely a full car length behind her as she passed through it.      It wasn't like it was unexpected, it was often foggy on her trips home when she had been out and about the night before.      But this one felt different.      Hell, it even smelled different.      Not like damp fallen leaves and wet wood, something that usually said fall was in full swing to her.     ...

Short Story S:2 P: 15 - "Between Shore and Sea"

     The storm raged on around them, encouraging rolling waves to thrash about as if they were dancing to the torrent of emotions spilling across the distance Between Shore and Sea . Words whipped and echoed like arrows across the tides, inflaming sun tanned cheeks and pale skin with blood red passion.      It was to have been a simple affair--no heart and all body.      But as the being had come ashore in the dead of night what felt like a lifetime ago--and settled its charcoal eyes on a beauty carved from mortal flesh and bone watching the stars in wonder--it had felt a daunting pull that spoke of white hot heat and doom.      From that moment forward they had spun a web of Emerald Longing and Golden Wonder around themselves as their bodies twined again and again. By dawn on that very first morning they were unable to draw themselves apart, so they had stayed cocooned, nestled in a world of damp wood, soft sheets and the...